Enable BIND cache server to resolve chinese domain name?

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Mon Jul 4 22:10:55 UTC 2005

# > You are playing with words. ORSN serves the same data as ICANN. So,
# > it is a superset, albeit a strict one.
#
# (The excellent readers of NANOG already saw the bug by themselves, I
# presume.) I wanted to say that ORSN is *not* a strict superset but is
# nevertheless a superset.

for those excellent readers who didn't follow this, here's an excerpt from
<http://european.de.orsn.net/faq.php#opmode>:

| What's the meaning of the status indication "ICANN BASED" and "INDEPENDENT"?
|
| ICANN BASED is the "normal" mode of ORSN which means that our database will
| be synchronized with the root zone information provided by ICANN once a
| day. A parser checks for differences between our database and the data that
| we download by FTP from ICANN. However, removed TLDs won't be considered but
| future TLDs (e.g. .EU) will automatically be added to our data base, linked
| with nameserver data-records and finally, a new ORSN root zone will be
| generated. Changed TLDs are processed this way too. This process (parsing,
| database update and generation of the root zone) is automatic.
|
| The operating mode INDEPENDENT deactivates the (automatic) mechanism
| described above and sets ORSN to independent operation. This mode is
| activated whenever the political situation of the world - in our opinion -
| makes this step necessary because the possibility of a modification and/or a
| downtime of the ICANN root zone exists or we does not want that our root
| zone will rebuild automatically.

what this means is, it can't conflict with ICANN data other than that if ICANN
deletes something it might not show up in ORSN.  mathematically speaking that's
a superset, but politically speaking it's not at all like an alternative root.