Enable BIND cache server to resolve chinese domain name?

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon Jul 4 12:44:50 UTC 2005

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com wrote:

> They are battling it out in the marketplace and one of the IDN solutions
> will evolve to the point where the market considers it clearly superior.
> This may be the IETF-blessed solution and it may not. One only has to
> browse through the RFC archives to see that RFC status is no guarantee
> that something will be widely adopted.
>
> Personally, I think that the Internet is too young and we have too
> little experience with multilingual naming to engineer an
> Internationalised Domain Naming solution that solves the problem once
> and for all. This means that we should be ready for more than one
> iteration to get to the solution.

We should be careful to distinguish between i18n and localization. These
private alternative DNS roots are specific to a particular set of users,
so they implement DNS l10n which is not appropriate for a system that is
supposed to be international. Slogan: localization is balkanization.

Tony.
BISCAY: WEST 5 OR 6 BECOMING VARIABLE 3 OR 4. SHOWERS AT FIRST. MODERATE OR
GOOD.