Enable BIND cache server to resolve chinese domain name?

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Mon Jul 4 12:40:59 UTC 2005

At 1:25 PM +0100 2005-07-04, Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com wrote:

>  They are battling it out in the marketplace and one
>  of the IDN solutions will evolve to the point where
>  the market considers it clearly superior.

	I think that would be the worst possible outcome.

>  Personally, I think that the Internet is too young
>  and we have too little experience with multilingual
>  naming to engineer an Internationalised Domain Naming
>  solution that solves the problem once and for all.
>  This means that we should be ready for more than one
>  iteration to get to the solution.

	I have no problem with multiple iterations to get this right.  I
have real problems with those multiple iterations being done via the
marketplace.  These sorts of things need to be engineered using the
correct methods (at least, as known at the time), and they need to go
through the correct process.  That means the IETF.

	We don't let Joe Moron invent his own better-cheaper-faster
replacement for SS7 and then casually bet-the-businesses/livelihoods
of thousands or millions of innocent people that they got their
engineering right.

	We shouldn't be allowing anyone to do the same for DNS.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755