Enable BIND cache server to resolve chinese domain name?

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Mon Jul 4 11:56:50 UTC 2005

At 11:26 AM +0100 2005-07-04, Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com wrote:

>  I think that the marketing people are going to win
>  this one. There is no marketable benefit to the ICANN
>  root zone but there are clear advantages for countries
>  using non-Latin alphabets to switch to a root zone that
>  allows for their own language to be used in domain names.

	That works, up until the point where India decides to use a
different alternative root solution than China does.  That works, up
until the point where the inexperienced alternative root operators
screw something up and their entire "expanded" Internet goes down,
while the real root servers continue normal operations.

	The balkanization of the 'net is something to be avoided at all
possible costs.

>  Turkey was recently mentioned and that is also a country
>  that uses a non-Latin alphabet.

	It doesn't matter how many non-Latin alphabets you introduce.
What matters is that there can be only one root.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755