OMB: IPv6 by June 2008

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Sun Jul 3 22:37:10 UTC 2005

At 12:14 PM +0200 2005-07-01, Andre Oppermann wrote:

>  Huh, Europe is moving to IPv6?  I must have been asleep at all industry
>  meeting in the past few month and years...

	From what I've seen at the RIPE meetings, Europe is definitely
moving towards IPv6.  Maybe not as fast as some parts in Asia, but
it's definitely moving that way.  Moreover, it's moving towards IPv6
much faster than the US.

>                 All the other stuff and the different address scopes are
>  not only impractical but confuse the average consumer and MCSE admin to
>  no end (and those are the people that have to deal with it all the time).

	IPv6 has its problems, yes.  There are implementation issues that
confuse programmers at Sun working on Solaris, and confuse network
application programmers with a hell of a lot of experience under
their belt.  If you can't talk directly to Jinmei himself, you're
likely to be well and truly screwed.

	But just because IPv6 has problems doesn't mean that it doesn't
solve the fundamental address space problem in IPv4, and doesn't mean
that it is anything less than the best available alternative.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755