OMB: IPv6 by June 2008

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sun Jul 3 18:49:52 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 09:29:04PM -0400, Todd Underwood wrote:
> heh.  i guess i'll have to live without the dancing turtle, and so
> will all the other Internet users.  i wonder what other useful content
> is not available on the real Internet and only available via ipv6.  i
> keep asking this question and keep getting non-answers like this.

Well, with all due respect, of *course* there isn't any 'killer site'
that is v6 only yet: the only motivation to do so at the moment, given
the proportion of v4 to v6 end-users, is *specifically* to drive v4 to
v6 conversion at the end-user level.

So we're only likely to see that in exactly a case like the government
mandated conversion--mean to say it will likely be some government
internal b-to-b'ish site that crops up first as v6 only, and then the
usual S-curve of conversions amongst other government sites, slowly
dribbling over into b-to-c'ish stuff... which will be what pulls the
rest of us along.

Cheers,
-- jra
Designer                +-Internetworking------+----------+           RFC 2100
Ashworth & Associates   |  Best Practices Wiki |          |            '87 e24
St Petersburg FL USA    http://bestpractices.wikicities.com    +1 727 647 1274

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me