NTIA will control the root name servers?

Ted Fischer ted at fred.net
Sun Jul 3 16:41:23 UTC 2005

At 11:28 AM 7/3/2005, Valdis Kletnieks wrote:

>On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 09:44:56 +0200, Peter Dambier said:
>
> > http://xn--8pru44h.xn--55qx5d/
> >
> > Try to see their homepage!
>
>I can't help it if they disregard RFC2826...
>
> > ICANN does not want them.
> > They dont want ICANN either.
>
>This doesn't change the technical issues in rfc2826.
>
> > European ISPs and Asian ISPs do change to the Public-Root because their
> > customers need to send emails to each other. Curiously enough their is
> > no SPAM on Public-Root email addresses. I thought the spammers were
> > located in Asia and Europe only?
>
>(A) You thought wrong.  Just because a large percentage (not "only") arrives
>from Asia and Europe doesn't mean the *spammer* is located there, any more
>than
>the fact that this e-mail went through one of Merit's servers means that I'm
>actually in Michigan.

    ... Or that I'm in Vermont (or Virginia or California or Sweden (when
I'm working)) but my mail ISP is in Maryland ...

>(B) Spammers send to addresses that are likely to get them money. Thus, the
>lack of spam to public-root addresses isn't surprising.
>
>(C) The fact that I *do* see spam advertising the availability of public-root
>addresses should be an adequate predictor of what will happen if said
>addresses
>get any significant uptake.
>
> > In Africa there is not much internet technology yet. They build on
> > chinese technology because it is cheap and China supports their needs.
> >
> > What if their need is censoring and perfect control?
>
>Go read this: http://65.246.255.51/rfc/rfc3675.txt
>
>And ask yourself (a) why did that URL work at all, and (b) whether censoring
>via top-level domain is likely to work.

    As an interesting side note, my e-mail client (Eudora) helpfully popped
up the following message when checking the above URL:

         "The host, http://65.246.255.52/rfc/rfc3675.txt, is a numerical IP
address; most legitimate sites use names, not addresses."

    Besides some of the obvious comments (it was written by the Department
of Redundancy Department), I think this shows that "we" really do need to
keep legislators as informed as possible on the technical side of "How
Things Work" to try and keep the hysteria to a minimum.

                                 Ted Fischer

p.s.  Valdis ... didn't know that you were in Vermont, too ;-)