OMB: IPv6 by June 2008

James haesu at towardex.com
Fri Jul 1 19:03:19 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 02:28:22AM -0400, Kevin Loch wrote:

> Todd Underwood wrote:
> >where is the service that is available only on IPv6? i can't seem to
> >find it.
>
> A better question would be "What services does the competition offer
> via IPv6?" If the answer is "none" then how long will that
> situation last?  What point along the adoption curve do you want to be?
>
> >manually configured tunnels forver!
>
> There are fully native IPv6 networks here in the US, large and small.
> Most exchange points support native IPv6.  I'm sure most "netowrk
> operators" on this list could connect natively with minimal effort.
>
> Tunnels serve a useful purpose when dealing with networks you don't
> control, just like VPN's.  Most of the operational problems in IPv6
> today involve intentionally broken routing policies, not tunnels.

.. and lazy IPv6 network operators who simply don't care or even bother
to shut off uncontrolled transit swaps (aka, the legacy hardcore 6bone
styled networks who just won't give in).  These folks are better off
not doing ipv6 at all as they are doing nothing but negatively affecting
nearby ASNs :)  It only makes an IPv6-newbie operator to realize how v6
is broken when his peer is leaking his routes everywhere and not willing
to actively fix.

Whether or not IPv6 is the future is up to the sky and I don't know
myself.  But, nevertheless, non-usable IPv6 transit service through
irresponsible route-swaps over peering is certainly not helping it
regardless of how many "IPv6 is the future!" meetings, talkshows and
conferences people hold.

James

--
James Jun