Fundamental changes to Internet architecture

Chris Kilbourn kilbo-list at forest.net
Fri Jul 1 15:17:10 UTC 2005

At 9:58 AM -0500 7/1/05, John Kristoff wrote:
>On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 12:53:53 GMT
>"Fergie (Paul Ferguson)" <fergdawg at netzero.net> wrote:
>
>>  With all respect to Dave, and not to sound too skeptical,
>>  but we're pretty far along in our current architecture to
>>  "fundamentally" change, don't you think (emphasis on
>>  fundamentally)?
>
>>From the article it seems clear that the focus is on 'new', not
>'changed'.  No need (and probably little likelihood now) to change
>this architecture if you don't want to, but a new architecture may
>come along that make this one seem quite outmoded.

It's also worth remembering that packet-switched networks took
decades to eclipse circuit-based networks and that the early Internet
was, for all intents and purposes, useless for the vast bulk of
humanity in addition to being a tax-funded research project.

It takes a lot of seeds to grow a field of wheat.

Chris Kilbourn
kilbo-list at forest.net