long as path games?

Christopher L. Morrow christopher.morrow at mci.com
Mon Jan 31 23:40:02 UTC 2005

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, william(at)elan.net wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:
>
> > > Well, long as-path of 100 is certain to be invalid (result of misconfig if
> >
> > just curious, why would it be invalid?
>
> Its invalid in practice. You can build network with as-path larger then
> 100 in your lab, but in real world, we do not have this.
>
> Of course you might say that its possible that we have less then 100
> networks and each one is prepending several of their own as# and real
> number of networks is something like 20, but even that is too many and
> each network as-prepending 5 of their own AS is also rather unlikely.

so, 'dumb' but not 'invalid'... There might very well be networks (say not
on the internet) where as-paths longer than 100 might be required. Saying:
"they are invalid" isn't correct. Saying: "The use of as-path longer than
100 on today's Internet isn't helpful" is correct, or so say you and
atleast blaine.