Am I crazy!?

Jason Lixfeld jason at lixfeld.ca
Thu Jan 27 20:48:15 UTC 2005

On Jan 27, 2005, at 3:01 PM, Jared Mauch wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 02:51:35PM -0500, Jason Lixfeld wrote:
>>
>> Good thing this router isn't in production yet, but unless I'm crazy,
>> Telus is having a bad day:
>>
>> *>i0.0.0.0          64.201.161.218                100      0 20161
>> 852 i
>
> 	It's quite common for providers to advertise default route to
> bgp customers.

Agreed, but in this case it's just a matter of BCP.  My provider takes
a default from Telus.  If I wanted to a default from that provider (who
is already taking a default from Telus), should best practice be such
that the default is sourced from my provider's AS, not Telus'?

> 	If you don't want it, 1) ask them to change their config
> 2) filter it

Absolutely.  In this case, I hadn't dropped my filters in yet so it
stuck out like a sore thumb.

> 	If you ever get stuck on low memory or having to a
> split AS, it may be of value to have default route to hold
> things together..

Yup, been there, done that too...