'Whois protection service'

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Jan 27 04:03:29 UTC 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:26:00 +1300, Mark Foster said:

> I'm unsure how appropriate it is to post anything more specific in the
> open forum, but i've never seen this before. Whats the deal with hiding a
> domain name owners true identity?

Happens all the time..

> Is this not simply yet another protect-the-spammers mechanism?

Bingo.  Be glad you found any info - some spammers have been taking advantage
of the fact that some registries update the DNS every 5 minutes and the whois
info every 12 hours, so with proper timing you can have the DNS go live, and
have 11 hours and 50 minutes of carefree spamming before the Whois goes live
and they figure out who you are and complain...

> Is this old hat or something new? Is this still conformant to standard
> .com/net registrant rules and regs? (here in .nz, the registry information
> is required to be current and valid, and i've never seen a Registrar pass
> itself off as the owner of a domain before (at least in any legitimate
> situation))

Remember that registrars *like* spammers who burn through 200 domains/week,
because they can collect $9 for each one. Every week. ;)

And there's even a few registrars that are basically just spammer shell
corporations, so they can burn through 200 domains a week *without* having
to pay $9 per (or more correctly, they pay themselves).  What? 200+ registrars
or whatever we're up to, and you thought they were *all* clean?? ;)

(They're not *all* bad, evill and black-hat - as far as I can tell, GoDaddy
provides a similar service - but if you end up calling them because there's a
problem, they're not at all amused - and take their ire out on the problem user)

Further discussion is probably better done on spam-l at peach.ease.lsoft.com