improving the registrar transfer process

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Fri Jan 21 05:56:52 UTC 2005

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Bruce Tonkin wrote:

> > We know how to do 3-way handshakes.  Rather a fundamental of
> > the Internet.  So quickly folks forget....
>
> The ICANN policy change had no impact on this particular incident.
>
> As the incident has been documented so far, the transfer would have
> occurred under both the old and the new policy.

I think it would be helpfull if you explain what steps are involved in
domain transfer process (to your registrar) and its authorization, i.e.
something like
 1. MIT receives transfer request from reseller
 2. MIT sends email confirmation to whois contact (which contact - tech,
    admin?)
 3. MIT sends email (or is it request through Verisign RRP?) to Verisign
 4. MIT waits for such and such action...
 etc.

I also would like to confirm who is responsible for denying transfer
request if LOCK is present. Is Registry supposed to do it automaticly
or is it responsibility of losing registrar to actively deny the request
if they have put lock on domain?

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks