Please Check Filters - BOGON Filtering IP Space 72.14.128.0/19

Will Hargrave will at harg.net
Fri Jan 21 00:55:45 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 01:44:04PM -0500, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> I'll go out on a limb and say that 3/4 of the Cisco routers in production use
> are managed by unqualified network monkeys employed by the leaf sites. The fact
[...]

I beg to differ -  3/4 of the Cisco routers in (enterprise) production are
*unmaintained*. These will have a variety of vulnerable, buggy or just plain
crap IOS versions and no-one would've even considered upgrading for years.

If filters depend on IOS upgrades then those filters are there to stay.

ISPs will of course feed their routers more often, but to be honest
anyone else looks at their network kit only when there's something far wrong
with it.

--
Will