broke Inktomi floods?

Dan Hollis goemon at anime.net
Thu Jan 20 21:52:10 UTC 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 14:30:04 +0200, Gadi Evron <gadi at tehila.gov.il> wrote:
> > Inktomi (now Yahoo!) sends it's spiders all over the Internet. Lately
> > some of our systems are reporting that they open many HTTP connections
> > to our web sites, without ever sending any data and immediately
> > disconnecting. This is getting to a level where it disturbs us.
> I have heard previous stories of inktomi ignoring robots.txt (not seen
> this for myself though).  And there are threads like this -
> Quoting from http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum11/1968-1-15.htm

back in 1999 inktomi hammered our nameserver (which never has, and never
will run http. ever.) After _weeks_ of complaining to them and to their
upstream exodus (hah!) I finally got them to stop. Only to have them
start up again a month later.

not suprising to see them up to their old antics again.

time to nullroute i guess?

-Dan