Graphing Peering - Solution

Richard J. Sears rsears at americanIS.net
Thu Jan 20 16:44:21 UTC 2005

Take a look at http://jffnms.sourceforge.net

According to the Author whom I know very well it will do exactly what
you need it to do:

-----------SNIP-------------------
Yes, JFFNMS has a specific system to do this.

Using MAC Accounting, we track each MAC address, using ARP its IP, and using BGP
Table its ASN (by the IP).

So you will get MAC Accounting graphs labeled with the ASN you are peering.
------------------------SNIP-------------------------

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 23:01:11 -0600
Kevin <kkadow at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:37:54 -0800, andrew matthews <exstatica at gmail.com> wrote:
> > no i mean graph bgp sessions...
> >
> > it's a single interface, and i want to graph every bgp session so i
> > can see how much traffic i'm doing between each peer.
>
> If you are looking to graph statistics about the BGP peering sessions,
> (rather than graphing transit router bytes in/out as suggested elsewhere),
> you might take a look at the sample-config for the Cricket graphing tool,
> specifically ~cricket/cricket-1.0.4/sample-config/routing
>
> Unfortunately this graphs counts of BGP peering messages, not bytes.
>
> Cricket can track BGP route announcements,  including graphing counts
> (rates) of peer updates in/out along along with total BGP messages,
> for each peering session.  You could use Cricket itself to view the data,
> extract the collected data from 'rrdtool', or just look at the sources to
> get an idea of the requisite Cisco OIDs to use in another tool entirely.
>
> More information on Cricket is available from http://cricket.sourceforge.net/
>

> Kevin

Richard J. Sears
Vice President
American Internet Services
rsears at adnc.com
http://www.adnc.com
858.576.4272 - Phone
858.427.2401 - Fax
INOC-DBA - 6130

I fly because it releases my mind
from the tyranny of petty things . .

"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've
never been hurt and dance like you do when nobody's
watching."