Router-switch-router "peering module"

Howard C. Berkowitz hcb at gettcomm.com
Thu Jan 20 16:27:49 UTC 2005

I'm hunting for some presentations or papers on what I've seen called
a "peering module", using a router, a L2 switch, and a router in
series, rather than a single router. Unfortunately, I can't remember
where I saw the detailed description, and I haven't been able to find
it in the NANOG archives.

IIRC, the rationale was to spread filtering and rate limiting over a
set of processors, also to keep the configuations more manageable.

Does anyone have any pointers to detail?  I've seen the topology, but
not a detailed discussion, in a couple of Cisco presentations.