improving the registrar transfer process

Thornton thornton-nanog at cierragroup.com
Thu Jan 20 06:23:41 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 01:13 -0500, William Allen Simpson wrote:

> We know how to do 3-way handshakes.  Rather a fundamental of the
> Internet.  So quickly folks forget....
>
> We knew in advance that the VRSN/NetSol/whatever protocol was terrible,
> and that the ICANN policy change was not going to be helpful.
>
> I think the notification process should parallel what anybody competent
> would expect in a communications protocol.  Retry.  Several times.
> (Admittedly, I've been involved in protocol design for 28+ years, thus
> have a tendency to see things that way.)
>
> At the retry limit, declare the peer to be "down".
>
> In this case, the peer being down means taking all their domains away
> and revoking their registrar status and the performance bond.
>
> Accountability.  Responsibility.

I agree with you on this 100%.  ICANN needs to enforce there current
policies.  Look at totalnic/pacnames.  They have been refusing transfer
requests years now until very very recent.  What has ICANN done about
all those complaints and violations that has been well documented?
nothing!

ICANN needs to stop just accepting money and start enforcing policies...