NANOG via RSS

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Wed Jan 19 14:55:19 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 09:11 -0500, Robert E.Seastrom wrote:

> "Mike Callahan" <mcallahan at bullseyetelecom.net> writes:
>
> > By any chance is this list available via xml/rss?
>
> There are several email to rss gateway software packages out there; it
> would be trivial to roll your own.
>
> YMMV, but after reading a couple of other mailing lists that were
> gatewayed to rss, my sense is that RSS is not the right technology for
> reading NANOG unless one were to create a "first article only" feed.

I am actually wonder if RSS has an advantage at all compared to a
mailinglist, especially as RSS is a pull mechanism, if there is nothing
or not a lot happening it will be polling the server a lot of times
needlessy, thus causing server resources. While of course a mailinglist
has the overhead of the email headers. But I am quite convinced of the
idea that a push * 25.000 subscribers is lighter load on the server than
having a continues pull by those 25.000 subscribers...

Next to that, my mailbox simply shows the articles I have not read and I
throw out what I did read and can easily reply to what I like to reply
to. Personally thus RSS has not much value, just like NNTP actually,
even though NNTP comes quite close to email.

Greets,
 Jeroen