Gtld transfer process

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Wed Jan 19 01:53:17 UTC 2005

Hello William,

Thanks for your suggestions.

Comments below.

> I would propose the following:
>
> 1. Keep existing model but make it "SHOULD" for old registrar
> to inform
>    of upcoming transfer (I still don't understand how that failed in
>    panix.com case BTW, because I'm pretty certain dotster does it, the
>    only thing I can think of is that they did but answer was
> lost among
>    all the spam that hostmaster account received).

Sounds reasonable.

> 2. Allow for fast way to reverse the domain transfer for old register.
>    I'd propose the following:
>     a. Old registrar can use special registry function to request
>        reversal within 5 days of the transfer and that is immediatly
>        granted (no questions asked at that time) with
> immediate restoration
>        of old NS servers

Might be better to simply revert the NS records at the request of the
original registrar, and then place the name on registry lock until the
dispute is resolved.    Note for URDP disputes a name is typically
locked by a registrar (although the current NS record state is
retained).

Most of the other steps regarding provision of evidence and
full-rollback to the original registrar are covered under the existing
transfer dispute policies.  The detailed process is documented here:
 http://www.icann.org/transfers/dispute-policy-12jul04.htm

Regards,
Bruce