The entire mechanism is Wrong!

Jim Shankland nanog at shankland.org
Mon Jan 17 05:57:58 UTC 2005

> Just remember that, as an example, Melbourne IT has probably two orders
> of magnitude more clients than you. A 24x7 pager service would attract
> a /lot/ of "Emergencies" and as such they'd have to consider running
> at least a muppet level call service outside of hours to filter
> "emergency" requests away from the normal signup procedures and over
> to the People Who Really Fix Things.

Of course it's unreasonable to expect a registrar to have to
put up with such a burden during off hours:  God only knows what
kind of silly calls would come in.  "Emergencies" are best
handled in a batch during the regular work week.  For the
stuff that really won't wait, you just put a lawyer on retainer,
who can fax off a letter telling the complainant to sod off until
Monday morning, or until the moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter
aligns with Mars, whichever comes first.

I mean, if we can't be on the golf course by 3:00, what are we
in this business for, anyway -- right?

Jim Shankland