The entire mechanism is Wrong!

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Sun Jan 16 17:36:43 UTC 2005

Once upon a time, Perry E. Metzger <perry at piermont.com> said:
> If people like Melbourne IT are going to claim they can't act on
> weekends, it might also be sensible not to allow transfers to be
> processed between Thursday and Sunday, though honestly I think if you
> are going to be a registrar, you are going to have to deal with
> problems over weekends.

We're a relatively small ISP compared to many on NANOG, but we have a
24x7 on-call system with an answering service.  All domain registrars
should be required to have 24x7 service.

The GTLD (and other TLD) servers have a 2 day TTL on all records; if
panix.com was fixed right now it would be Tuesday before everyone saw
it.  How hard would it be for Verisign (and other registries) to have
the TTL "ramp up" after a change?  In other words, when the NS records
for domain.com get changed (but not after an initial registration), put
them in the .com zone initially with a short TTL, maybe 6 hours, and
then after 2 days move the TTL up to 12 hours, after another 2 days move
it to 24 hours, and then after a week total move it to 2 days.  How much
more load would that really cause?  Especially with the "streamlined"
transfer procedure now in place, this would be a very good idea.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>