The entire mechanism is Wrong!

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Sun Jan 16 17:24:29 UTC 2005

Joe Maimon <jmaimon at ttec.com> writes:
> Or perhaps do you mean previous owners can call in a "stop order" or
> "dispute" the transfer unilaterally within X days of occurence, much
> like it works for many REAL money transactions?

That makes considerable sense. You should be able to call in, say
"roll it back", and have it stay rolled back for a few days until
someone can investigate.

If people like Melbourne IT are going to claim they can't act on
weekends, it might also be sensible not to allow transfers to be
processed between Thursday and Sunday, though honestly I think if you
are going to be a registrar, you are going to have to deal with
problems over weekends.

One more disturbing problem here -- it seems (based on external
evidence) that someone managed to fake out the system. Although
Verisign and Melbourne IT seem to think that the transfer was
approved, neither Dotster nor Panix have any record at all of
it. Dotster's records make them think they are still the registrar for
panix.com. It appears someone cracked the system, though whether by
exploiting protocol problems or in some other way isn't clear at all.

Perry