IBGP Question --- Router Reflector or iBGP Mesh

Alexei Roudnev alex at relcom.net
Thu Jan 13 07:58:09 UTC 2005

It is correct more or less (I prefer to say that RR reflects only the best
routes... through I am not sure, is it
theoretical limitation or just implementation - RR can in theory reflect ALL
routes).

Anyway, usual usage of RR is _RR on backbone, and clients in the branches_,
which eliminate this problem (if client / client packets are going thru the
reflector, then reflector's decition makes more sense).

Do not forget that routing must be consistant - different nodes can not use
very different alghoritms to select routes (else you will have routing loops
easily), so problem is not so strong as it seems initially. You can always
add direct iBGP connections between 2 RR clients, if they have direct IP
connection and you suspect suboptimal routing thru RR's.

If we want to continue (I am not 100% sure in this problem), let's drow
pictures first.