Proper authentication model

Hannigan, Martin hannigan at verisign.com
Wed Jan 12 22:51:09 UTC 2005

[ snip ]

> Obviously, if you are the local telco this isn't really out
> of band, but
> works well for others who aren't sharing the local telco's
> infrastructure.
>
> Is it as secure as having your own diverse-path management network of
> private point to point circuits?  Probably not, but with sufficient
> firewalling and encryption on the tunnels, it's good enough, and cheap
> enough that it's possible to talk ISP owners into paying for it.

I don't know if this specifically relates to any local telco,
but there are some clear reasons on why to go through the excercise
of having a true out-of-band network. I don't disagree that smaller
ISP's may not neeed such a thing nor do I suggest that it offers a
significant ROI to the smaller guys.