fixing insecure email infrastructure (was: Re: [eweek article] Window of "anonymity" when domain exists, whois not updated yet)

Steven Champeon schampeo at hesketh.com
Wed Jan 12 19:07:06 UTC 2005

on Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 12:41:44PM -0600, Adi Linden wrote:
> > 0) for the love of God, Montresor, just block port 25 outbound already.
>
> What is wrong with dedicating port 25 to server to server communication
> with some means of authentication (DNS?) to ensure that it is indeed a
> vaild mail server.

Nothing at all. That's more or less what I proposed, though I'd prefer
to see something TODAY, like the easily implemented rDNS fix, rather
than wait any longer for SPF/DomainKeys/etc. to go through a zillion
rounds of argument. As it stands, I reject a rather large percentage of
the spam delivery attempts here using generic rDNS as a basis. (Either
in the rDNS of the connecting host itself or in the HELO; the latter is
responsible for ~75%-80% of the rejections, assumed to be almost
entirely zombie-originated).

> Mail clients should be using port 587 to submit messages to their
> local MTA.

Agreed.

join us!   http://hesketh.com/about/careers/account_manager.html    join us!