fixing insecure email infrastructure (was: Re: [eweek article] Window of "anonymity" when domain exists, whois not updated yet)

Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine brunner at nic-naa.net
Wed Jan 12 12:55:06 UTC 2005

> 4) all domains with invalid whois data MUST be deactivated (not
>    confiscated, just temporarily removed ...

All? Even those unpublished and therefore non-resolving? Sensible for the
scoped-to-totality trademarks weenies who argue that the stringspace is a
venue for dilution, whether the registry publishes all of its allocations
or not.

I'm not sure why anyone cares about a very large class of domains in the
context of SMTP however.

> 5) whois data MUST be normalized and available in machine-readable form

There are some registries that use paper to answer registration queries.

I'm not sure why anyone cares about a very small class of domains in the
context of SMTP however.

Aggregation and reformatting have their place. We explored this in the
whoisfix bofs but no working group congealed around "fixing" :43.

Again, I'm not sure why anyone cares about a very large class of whois:43
output sources in the context of SMTP however.

Eric