Proper authentication model

Joe Abley jabley at isc.org
Wed Jan 12 15:54:49 UTC 2005

On 12 Jan 2005, at 10:16, Hannigan, Martin wrote:

> If you have 3 sites and they're interconnected via an OC3
> and the internet, you would also have 2 frame or ppp circuits
> seperately connecting the terminal server network. You'd do the
> different path, different provider, etc. on these circuits.

You mean you'd *request* a different path from different providers.

That's not the same thing as getting paths with no points of failure in
common. How many times have you seen an OC3 service bought from one
provider share the same conduit, or the same piece of fibre as a DS1
frame-relay service bought from a different provider? Often enough to
post paranoid rantings to NANOG, in my case.

In the past I have been attracted the idea of console servers with GPRS
modems in order to eliminate local-loop shared fate (since there is an
argument that the amount of shared infrastructure in two apparently
separate services will reduce dramatically the further you get away
from the service delivery point). However, the colocation centres where
GPRS coverage is good enough to use in any serious way are probably the
ones with microcells installed within them, which presumably use the
same fibre and the same conduits as everybody else to haul packets out
of the building.

Joe