Proper authentication model

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Wed Jan 12 11:25:21 UTC 2005

On 12-jan-05, at 11:30, Gernot W. Schmied wrote:

>> True out of band management networks are very hard to build and very
>> hard to use, and you run the risk that you can't get at your stuff
>> because the management network is down.

> IS-IS can be highly recommended for true out of band management, it is
> reachable when IP goes down the drain entirely.

To me, true "out of band management" means that the management traffic
doesn't flow over production links. You are right that IS-IS can
continue to function when IP is confused (although with integrated
IS-IS OSI will probably be just as confused as IP). But IS-IS isn't a
management protocol, of course.  :-)

IPv6 is also very useful in providing non-IPv4 management.