Weekly Routing Table Report

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Mon Jan 10 14:21:26 UTC 2005

> The largest growth element I see is deaggregation of 'classical'
> space which may have perfectly valid purpose within an AS, or in
> a provider-customer relationship, but not N hops away in the DFZ.
> The reasons vary from putting the burden of traffic engineering
> on the rest of the world to handwaving about applying security
> band-aids by reducing the visibility into the the target space.

Joe,

If I was visiting your home and I happened to toss
a rock through your livingroom window on my way out,
would you send me a bill for the repairs? We have
no existing business relationship, no contracts in
place, so would you send me a bill?

Sometimes there are technical solutions to problems
but if my actions increase your costs there is also
a non-technical solution. One could argue that this
whole "CIDR reports" issue should not even be discussed
on this list because it is a non-technical issue. If
someone else is causing your network increased costs,
send them a bill, talk to your lawyer, whatever.

But keep it off NANOG.

--Michael Dillon
(with only half of my tongue in cheek)