Proposed list charter/AUP change?

Hannigan, Martin hannigan at verisign.com
Tue Jan 4 18:23:28 UTC 2005

The changes that people are discussing have little to do with
"what is" and "what isn't" on topic for the NANOG mailing list.

What it does have lots to do with is cooperating on examination
of the moderation and testing the current long-standing techniques
to determine if they need to be re-vamped to reflect sentiments
of the community at large.

To me, it's not a productive effort to micro-manage(or MERIT)
the list via the FAQ. The FAQ is a traditional and
historically acceptable method of answering questions that are
bound to come up repeatedly as a primary result of new participants
from any source.

I am interested in discussing the possibilities of self-policing
the list. An example would be when I suggested you earn some stripes.
I said it. You ignored it. I opened my killfile. You land on it.
That's much simpler.

Writing complicated rules and creating a Politburo-like atmosphere
is in no-ones interest.

ObOp: Abuse desks are easily confused with SPAM since the context of
      abuse desk discussion is typically wrt ...SPAM. The earlier
      email was more general, IMHO.

-M<

--
Martin Hannigan                         (c) 617-388-2663
VeriSign, Inc.                          (w) 703-948-7018
hannigan at verisign.com