IPv6, IPSEC and DoS

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Mon Jan 3 20:54:38 UTC 2005

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, David Barak wrote:
> I guess it's true that everything old is new again:
> isn't this effectively circuit-switching?  If you're
> dedicating network elements to particular hosts in a
> non-dynamic manner, doesn't that make your
> infrastructure effectively a PBX, where moving
> {device} from one room to the next requires a a
> technician's assistance?

Not necessarily.  Some public networks are moving away from the ask
everyone the question, anyone can answer model. It cuts down on the
chatter, and the spoofing.  That doesn't mean you have to go to a static
provisioning model, but it does mean you have to think harder about what
you trust, what asks the questions and what answers the questions.  You
can still have a dynamic network, as long as it doesn't learn the wrong
things.