Why do so few mail providers support Port 587?

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Mon Feb 28 10:31:52 UTC 2005

>   Internal users:  With AUTH - correlate message with authenticated
user,
>   then forbid mail transmission for them only.  I'd rather do that than
>   slog through RADIUS logs.  But, hey, maybe if I had more free time...
>
> Increasing the detail of an audit trail doesnt mean anyone will
> automatically use the information in an effective manner.

This is why we need an Internet Mail Services Association
in which email operators set standards and agree on how
to operate the Internet email transport system. This group
would have the goal of providing a high quality email
service to all users. If that quality standard includes
maintaining and using an audit trail, then the association
members will do so.

You cannot solve email operational problems by purely
technical means.

--Michael Dillon