Why do so few mail providers support Port 587?

Robert L Mathews lists at tigertech.com
Sat Feb 26 22:24:00 UTC 2005

Paul Vixie wrote:

> well, in sbc-dsl-land, port 25 and port 587 are blocked, but port 26 gets
> through.  it seems bizarre that port 587 would ever be blocked

I suspect that was some kind of temporary aberration. SBC started
blocking port 25 in the last two months, and during that time I've
helped at least a dozen of our customers using SBC DSL switch their mail
program settings from port 25 to port 587, with no trouble -- it worked
in every case.

I bet it works if you try it again now (as you say, blocking port 587
makes no sense).

--
Robert L Mathews