Why do so few mail providers support Port 587?

just me matt at snark.net
Fri Feb 25 23:13:04 UTC 2005

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, Edward B. Dreger wrote:

  Internal users:  With AUTH - correlate message with authenticated user,
  then forbid mail transmission for them only.  I'd rather do that than
  slog through RADIUS logs.  But, hey, maybe if I had more free time...

Increasing the detail of an audit trail doesnt mean anyone will
automatically use the information in an effective manner.

Without auth, most ISPs could correlate abuse behavior between MTA
logs and RADIUS logs, if they cared. Most don't. SMTP AUTH won't
change that.

matt ghali

              The only thing necessary for the triumph
              of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke