Why do so few mail providers support Port 587?

Edward B. Dreger eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Fri Feb 25 22:54:20 UTC 2005

jm> Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 14:25:48 -0800 (PST)
jm> From: just me

jm> What are you, stupid? The spammers have drone armies of machines
jm> with completely compromised operating systems. What makes you think
jm> that their mail credentials will be hard to obtain?

Internal users:  With AUTH - correlate message with authenticated user,
then forbid mail transmission for them only.  I'd rather do that than
slog through RADIUS logs.  But, hey, maybe if I had more free time...

External users:  They must send mail somehow.  If saying "You roam? Use
this port!" is too difficult, try explaining multiple profiles.  Short
of using 25/TCP on the service provider's network (which could be
amusing for those using wholesale dialup providers), users need some way
to pass email.

Eddy
--
Everquick Internet - http://www.everquick.net/
A division of Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - http://www.brotsman.com/
davidc at brics.com -*- jfconmaapaq at intc.net -*- sam at everquick.net
Ditto for broken OOO autoresponders and foolish AV software backscatter.