Finding useful/pertinent IP reallocation WHOIS info

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Fri Feb 25 11:23:21 UTC 2005

> http://lacnic.net/cgi-bin/lacnic/whois?lg=EN
>
> ...you can find that:
>
> #These addresses have been further assigned to Brazilian users.
> #Contact information can be found at the WHOIS server located
> #at whois.registro.br and at http://whois.nic.br

Well, if you could speak Portuguese you would immediately
see that they shuffled the website and the page you want
is at http://registro.br/cgi-bin/nicbr/whois
And if you don't speak Portuguese, how are you going
to communicate with a small Brazilian ISP in the first
place?

Also, you have identified an error at LACNIC and
you probably should tell them so that they can
correct their whois server. LACNIC does have English
language capability.

--Michael Dillon

P.S. The whole concept of looking up an abuse contact
in a whois database is completely broken and needs
to be scrapped. It simply does not scale. We need
some hierarchy here as in many other areas of the
network.