Why do so few mail providers support Port 587?

Nils Ketelsen nils.ketelsen at kuehne-nagel.com
Fri Feb 25 15:51:55 UTC 2005

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 11:36:40PM -0500, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

> Well, OK.  If you know for a *fact* that your users *never* roam, and you
> have sufficiently good control of your IP addresses that you can always safely
> decide if a given connection is "inside" or "outside" and allow them to relay
> based on that, then no, you don't need to support 587.
>
> The rest of us run mail services in the real world, where lots of users buy
> laptops, and then actually <gasp, shock> *use* the portability and thus often
> end up behind some other ISP's port-25 block.

I force anyone, who wants to relay to use SMTP-AUTH on port 25. Only mails
for local delivery are accepted without AUTH. Whats point
in opening another port?

I use this mailserver from a lot of different networks and it works fine.
If a provider blocks port 25 I call them, ask them to cahnge it, if they
don't I cancel my contract, because they don't do there Job (forwarding
IP).

Nils