E1 - RJ45 pinout with ethernet crossover cable

Hannigan, Martin hannigan at verisign.com
Fri Feb 25 14:43:53 UTC 2005

If I understand you correctly, you can eliminate the coax
altogether with a standard t1/e1 cable betweem the dsu's:

  1        2      3     4       5       6    7    8

RX Tip  RX Ring  n/c  TX Tip  TX Ring  n/c  n/c  n/c

Just for reference, here's ether xover:

Crossover Cable  (EIA/TIA 568A)

RJ-45  PIN RJ-45 PIN
1 Rx+  3 Tx+
2 Rc-  6 Tx-
3 Tx+  1 Rc+
6 Tx-  2 Rc-

> Likewise would using an ethernet crossover cable have the
> same affect as
> swapping the pairs round on one balland.

Not that I know of, but I've never attempted what you
describe. Putting the baluns in the loop will destroy the
framing i.e. it's going to try and convert b8zs/ami to 802.x.

[ SNIP ]

-M<