Why do so few mail providers support Port 587?

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 24 22:14:17 UTC 2005

If supporting one port is y hours of time and headache, then two ports
is closer to y*2 than y (some might argue y-squared).  587 has some
validity for providers of roaming services, but who else?  Why not
implement 587 behavior (auth from the outside coming in, and accept all
where destin == this system) on 25 and leave the rest alone?

-Jim P.