AOL scomp

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Thu Feb 24 18:34:53 UTC 2005

--On Thursday, February 24, 2005 10:18 AM -0800 chuck goolsbee
<chucklist at forest.net> wrote:

>> It's too bad that about 1/3 of the reported mails are valid opt-in lists.
>
> The other 1/3rd are actual spam, but legitimately forwarded as the user
> requested from a personal or business domain to an AOL account. Any
> server in the path gets tagged as a spam source.

Actually only the server that connected to AOL and relayed the mail into
them.  I have this same kind of gripe/complaint.  Only for me about 2/3rds
of my scomp reports are this.  The other third are the below...only veeeery
rarely is an actual spam reported from our system, except in the case of
where we occasionally have a fraudulent signup come through and then start
spamming.

> And the remaining third seems to be just plain old normal personal
> correspondence ... which I find weird.

This happens because, atleast in many versions I don't know about
currently, DELETE and SPAM buttons were right next to eachother, causing
mis-clicks.