NANOG Changes

Gadi Evron ge at linuxbox.org
Sun Feb 20 22:15:41 UTC 2005

> It appears that they do not share your view, by reading nanog-futures.
> The new mailing list administration has already demonstrated that it had
> zero credibility:
>
> Yesterday, I posted something that displeased Martin Hanningan and was
> told that I needed his permission. As I was browsing the archive, I
> noticed my post and his and another one from William Leizon that quoted
> mine have been removed from it.
>
> This is not better, it is worse. Although I did not like the way Dr
> Harris moderated the least, at least she did not try to rewrite history
> when she did not like something.

Please read the below text in full, if you are going to read any of it.
I use a lot of cynicism to get my point across.

I haven't been involved with the NANOG reform initiative, and haven't
really commented on it, as I liked what I saw and am not really that
involved with NANOG politics - and that's just how I like it.

However, I can't ignore some of the things I am seeing lately from the
outside, hence my comments, which are mine alone and stand as opinions
others don't have to accept. Also, I may be wrong. Replies I received,
especially from Steve, satisfied me originally. No longer.

I believe in Merit's wishes, good will, hard work and promises. I really
do. And I am willing to give them time and working-space.

Thing is, we seem to be missing something.

Martin Hannigan, an all around good guy, seems (to me) to have made a
snag at management, hiding behind the reform. Can't argue with my
ill-formed and un-informed feelings (or any feelings for that matter),
right?
You can explain to me, how this is not the case and I am making stupid
deductions, based on facts you did not yet easily provide - that has yet
to happen. I wonder why. Please give me facts that will burn these weird
ideas our of my skull.. please.. I *want* to see the light.

Now, I don't really mind the reform or Martin doing it, I just don't see
how it is "visible" beyond us just being "told" about it. When I am
*told* about something, I go to conspiracy theories, and then to
investigation. I am paranoid, it's my job. You don't have to like my
opinions or listen to me. But me and how many others have these
mis-conceptions? Please share with us few idio... ignorant fools.
Enlighten us.

"Provisional" [government] is way too "un-declared" in my opinion.
Please "define" what "provisional" means. Also, I am overly
uncomfortable about the lack of visibility from the offset. Visibility
is the main "thing" Merit promised.

Now, I don't personally know you, but I doubt you would lie about this.
However, I also know Martin to be a good an honourable guy, so I'd
suggest you post the email messages that disappeared, here, and let us
decide if there is censorship and indeed Martin is an asshole, or if you
are just a troll who sends out accusations without proof to back them
up. No offense.. just being honest as I don't know the facts and I form
opinions based on what I do know and feel when such facts are not provided.

Any replies sent to me that do not refer to the full text will be
ignored, as taking sentences out of context here is way too easy, and
I'm too tired for yet another flame bait.

	Gadi.