bad Vonage connection, was Vonage complains about VoIP-blocking

Fergie (Paul Ferguson) fergdawg at netzero.net
Wed Feb 16 23:50:10 UTC 2005

In an update yesterday on advancedIPpipeline, Vonage
said that the incident "... involved multiple Vonage
customers whose service was being affected by a single
provider."

http://www.advancedippipeline.com/news/60400945

- ferg

-- John Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:

>What caused that issue was file transfers and other bursty traffic
>overwhelming queues, resulting in vonage traffic being stomped.

My router is a BSD/OS box and I see no evidence that it's losing
packets.  Keep in mind that the trouble was on inbound traffic, and my
internal network, a 100Mb switched ethernet, is a lot faster than my
T1, so it's hard to see how there'd be any queueing under any
circumstances.

I did traceroutes, looks like it was in either Sprint-land or the NSP
to NSP gateway.

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg at netzero.net or