Why do so few mail providers support Port 587?

Bob Martin bob at buckhorn.net
Wed Feb 16 03:41:52 UTC 2005

<dons ISP hat>

We get sick of blocking ports.

We're little guys. About 10,000 users. Yesterday, we blocked 11025
connections either inbound to addresses that aren't mail servers, or
outbound from addresses that aren't supposed to be mail servers.

This is a case of those that know a little too much praying on those
that don't know quite enough with those that don't have enough of
anything trying to stop it from happening.

I can't flame you. I fully agree with you. But until I can find a way to
stop the Big Bad Wolf from huffing and puffing, the house will be made
of bricks, and the door will be locked.

Bob Martin