Vonage complains about VoIP-blocking

Nathan Allen Stratton nathan at robotics.net
Tue Feb 15 22:18:14 UTC 2005

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Jay Hennigan wrote:

> Vonage devices initiate an outbound TFTP connection back to Vonage to
> snarf their configs on initial connection and also (presumably) on reboot.
>
> Many, many VoIP devices do this, including Cisco phones in all major
> flavors.  If an ISP is blocking TFTP originated by its customers at the
> border, this will cause numerous problems with many VoIP devices as
> well as numerous other things where a customer needs to initiate a TFTP
> session over the Internet.
>
> Filtering customer-initiated TFTP will cause problems with many legitimate
> applications and devices.

Most devices have moved to http config, sipura, snom, panasonic, etc. We
moved away from tftp because of a lot of NAT and blocking issues. As far
as SIP, I don't see it as a major problem since you can use any port.

><>
Nathan Stratton                                   BroadVoice, Inc.
nathan at robotics.net                                 Talk IS Cheap
http://www.robotics.net                           http://www.broadvoice.com