Vonage complains about VoIP-blocking

John Fraizer nanog at enterzone.net
Tue Feb 15 19:30:47 UTC 2005

Samantha Fetter wrote:
> Hi, just wanted to let you know that a friend recently got Vonage, and
> they had to go through a special process to get 911 properly associated
> with her address so that it would work right.  I'm guessing that means
> they have "REAL 911 access"?  I'm not familiar with that all, so pardon
> my lack of technical terms :
>
> Cheers,
> Samantha

If they had to go through a "special" process, then no.  That would
indicate that Vonage still doesn't have PS/ALI, at least in your friends
market.

That "special" process is Vonage determining the "default" PSAP in your
area and routing your 911 call to the 7-digit number for that PSAP.
With PS/ALI, Vonage wouldn't be doing the routing.  They would hand the
call off to the 911 Selective Router which would THEN hand the call off
to the appropriate PSAP based on a DIG to get your ALI information.

For those of you unfamiliar with how E911 works, and specifically,
PS/ALI, take a look at:
http://www.xo.com/products/smallgrowing/voice/local/psali/

Or... Simply google for "PS/ALI".

John