The Cidr Report

Warren Kumari, Ph.D, CCIE# 9190 warren at kumari.net
Mon Feb 14 01:57:42 UTC 2005

On Feb 13, 2005, at 6:19 PM, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Feb 2005, Michael Smith wrote:
>>> From: "Warren Kumari, Ph.D, CCIE# 9190" <warren at kumari.net>
>>> On Feb 13, 2005, at 2:31 AM, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:
>>>
>>> That and the "I have 1 circuit to $good_provider and 1 circuit to
>>> $bad_provider and the only way I can make them balance is to split my
>>> space in half and announce more specifics out through each provider"
>>> argument. I have also often seen people do this without announcing
>>> the
>>> aggregate because   <some undefined bad thing> will happen, usually
>>> justified with much hand-waving.  The people who do this can usually
>>> not be reasoned with....
>>
>> So, say  I'm a provider that has received a /22 from UUNet (just for
>> example
>> Chris :-) ) and I now get another transit provider and announce the
>> /22
>> there.  So, I call UUNet and ask them to announce the /22 as a more
>> specific
>
> Meaning you have PA space from UUNET, and you have BGP so you can
> multi-home... I'd expect you to know how to deaggregate yourself. You
> MIGHT even know how to send no-export on deaggregated prefixes, or use
> the
> 1996 policies to influence preferences/prepends internal to 701, yes?
>
>> because I don't want a de-facto asymmetric configuration.  I *want*
>> to get a
>> /20 from ARIN but my usage doesn't justify it yet, so I have to ride
>> the /22
>> for some time.
>>

> I'm not clear as to how the /22 to /20 discussion goes, or how it's
> even
> relevant... but it's been a long day. Can you elaborate?
>
>> By the long string of anecdotal attacks in the string to date,
>> listing most
>> or all such providers as "bad" or "uninformed" how do you separate
>> out those
>> providers who are legitimately interested in routing redundancy and
>> not clue
>
> a /22 in both directions seems like safe 'redundancy'. Adding no-export
> /24's or /32's if you want (yuck) would get you more preference inside
> one
> provider or the other.
>
> I'm also fairly sure I didn't say: "bad" or "uniformed" the 'bad
> provider'
> is from Warren, not I.

Whoops, I guess I wasn't very clear. By $good_provider and
$bad_provider I wasn't meaning to imply that $good_provider ran their
network "better" or
"cleaner" than $bad_provider, merely that (by default and without
tuning) more traffic travels via $good_provider than via $bad_provider
(e.g. $bad_provider buys transit from $good_provider). I guess I should
have used big_provider and little_provider or something.

>> impaired?  Do we just say "too bad, routing table bloat is more
>> important
>> than your need for redundancy small guy!"?

No, I don't think anybody was saying that, just that many people are
needlessly de-aggregating space. I have seen someone with a single T3
(and obviously a single provider!) announcing his PA  /19 as a bunch of
/24s, redistributed into BGP from OSPF! Some consultant had come in,
set it up and left. After a bit of help, said person turned off BGP and
has been running fine ever since. No-one was trying to take away your
redundancy, just limit the number of unnecessary announcements. See
Chris's comments above on how to get redundancy without making others
pay for it....

> I think that folks have been pushed toward multihoming with multiple
> providers (not just 'redundant T1' or 'shadow T1' services inside the
> same
> provider) over the last few years. That means some bloat is bound to
> occur. I'm not measuring it myself, but the renesys folks and LCS folks
> have been I think? Perhaps they can comment on that phenomenon?
>
>> I find it interesting that the general theme is one of "we're smarter
>> than
>> they are because we aggregate more routes" as if clue were directly
>> correlated to aggregated routing announcements.

Well, often lack of aggregation is directly caused by lacy of clue.
Obviously there are legitimate reasons for de-aggregating a big block
(otherwise we would all just carry 0/0 :-) ) but if there is no
additional information in the more specifics, then there is no reason
for them the be announced.

> it's not? :) (joking of course) As I said before some folks feel they
> have
> a legitimate reason for deaggregating. If you can spend some time
> chatting
> them up about their reasons and either:
> 1) realizing they hav a point
> 2) re-purpose their thoughts toward 'better cidr management' (as pfs
> said)
>
> then good for you... and everyone else :) I have spent sometime on
> occasion doing this, sometimes it works out, othertimes it doesn't :(
> It's
> always an experience though.

It certainly is...

> -Chris

- --
Militant Agnostic--I don't know and you don't either!