The Cidr Report

Philip Smith pfs at cisco.com
Mon Feb 14 00:27:24 UTC 2005

Hannigan, Martin said the following on 14/02/2005 09:32:

> Is aggregation being covered in the Sunday BoF's?
>
> [ hint, hint ]

The BGP tutorials I've been doing on Sundays at NANOG all cover
aggregation - at least, I seem to end up talking about aggregation in
each one. Maybe I need to be more direct? But then again, who am I
preaching to? The choir maybe, I don't know. Maybe we need a specific
aggregation tutorial for those who don't know how to? Those who have
operational and technical reasons not to aggregate have made that
decision with prior knowledge. We should try and give everyone else the
knowledge, then at least we will know that all de-aggregation is done
for a reason.

Then it begs the question, is NANOG the conference actually reaching the
people who'd most benefit from it? I say this as I'm in transit in
Singapore heading back from a hugely successful and enjoyable SANOG
(South Asia NOG) in Bangladesh. Similar idea to NANOG, but heavier
emphasis on education (workshops & tutorials), and we had ISPs falling
over themselves to participate in the first Internet operations meeting
held in that country.

philip