The Cidr Report

Peter Walker peter at grole.org
Sun Feb 13 20:28:49 UTC 2005

--On 13 February 2005 01:36 -0600 Jerry Pasker <info at n-connect.net>
wrote:

> Until there's deep shame, or real financial incentive to not being
> listed as a member of the dirty 30, nothing is going to happen in
> terms of aggregation.
>
> Unfortunately, an automated email going out to each of the dirty 30
> weekly from the Cidr Report saying that their network again made
> the list of top 30 most shameful examples of how to participate as
> an active member in the global routing table would probably have
> little effect.  If they cared, they'd already be doing something
> about it.
>
> Nothing is going to happen unless enough people (ASNs) take a
> simultaneous, and  UNITED stand, and make it painful for those that
> don't care about the routes they leak to the net.
>
> Here's an idea, it's probably not the best idea, and has a *lot* of
> potential problems, but it's just an idea:
>
> Pick the top 1 or two worst offenders every week, and automatically
> dump them into a route distribution server would work in the same
> way as the Team Cymru bogon server list.  I bet THAT would get
> people to scramble aggregate!  Want to make a clear business case
> for spending time to clean up routes?  How about "global
> routability" ?  Every week, the top of the list would be singled
> out, and  they could be placed on the server, and anyone that
> wanted to null route them based on that information could do so.  A
> level of automation would be required to quickly remove them from
> the blacklist as soon as they aggregated, and quickly re-add them
> without warning if they decide to deaggregate within a certain time
> frame of being on the blacklist. If the addition/removal was
> automated, it would be clear cut as to why the "victim" was placed
> on the list.  No favoritism or politics would come in to play.
>
> It would get results.  I'm not sure what those results would be,
> and the result might just be a bunch of really mad and aggravated
> people, and a slightly more broken internet, but there'd definitely
> be results.
>
> Or something.    ;-)
>
> (I bet it would be a lot like the early days of DNS-RBL for mail
> servers)
>
> I'm sure someone on this list who is wiser than me, has a better
> idea.  I'd love to hear it discussed.
>
> I'm going to repeat what I typed earlier:
>
> Nothing is going to happen unless enough people (ASNs) take a
> simultaneous, and  UNITED stand, and make it painful for those that
> don't care about the routes they leak to the net.
>
> -Jerry

Perhaps another way this could happen might be by somewhat widespread
use of something along the lines of

================= Cisco Version ========================

route-map CIDR_Top10 deny 10
  match as-path 10
  match ip address prefix-list deagg_pollution

route-map CIDR_Abusers permit 1000

ip as-path access-list 10 permit _4323$
ip as-path access-list 10 permit _18566$
ip as-path access-list 10 permit _4134$
ip as-path access-list 10 permit _721$
ip as-path access-list 10 permit _22773$
ip as-path access-list 10 permit _7018$
ip as-path access-list 10 permit _27364$
ip as-path access-list 10 permit _6197$
ip as-path access-list 10 permit _3602$
ip as-path access-list 10 permit _6478$

ip prefix-list deagg_pollution seq 10 permit 0.0.0.0/1 ge 21
ip prefix-list deagg_pollution seq 20 permit 128.0.0.0/2 ge 21
ip prefix-list deagg_pollution seq 30 permit 192.0.0.0/3 ge 24

The as-path could easily be changed to include the top n abusers or
to include downstream ASs rather than just source ASs.

Just thinking out loud

	Peter Walker