The Cidr Report

Justin Ryburn justin at ryburn.org
Sun Feb 13 18:47:25 UTC 2005

I have recently heard companies saying their reasoning for
de-aggregation was 1) to protect against outages to their customer base
when a more specific of their aggregate was announced somewhere else and
2) if they are getting DDOS attacked on a given /24 they can just drop
that advertisement and only affect part of their customer base.

As technically savvy folks, we may not agree with this line of
reasoning.  However, keep in mind that the technically savvy folks are
not always the ones making the decisions within a company.  Just because
someone has enable access and clue does not mean they have the authority
to make certain decisions.  Most of those people probably spend a large
amount of their time arguing with the decision makers to try and do the
right thing but at some point they lose those arguments.

--
Justin Ryburn
justin at ryburn.org